June 24, 2017

Parents, Teens Warned of Dangerous “Cinnamon Challenge”

cinnamon challenge

Dejah Reed of Michigan was hospitalized with a collapsed lung after inhaling cinnamon.

Don’t take the cinnamon challenge. That’s the advice from doctors in a new report about a dangerous prank depicted in popular YouTube videos but which has led to hospitalizations and a surge in calls to U.S. poison centers.

The fad involves daring someone to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water. But the spice is caustic, and trying to gulp it down can cause choking, throat irritation, breathing trouble and even collapsed lungs, the report said.

Published online Monday in Pediatrics, the report said at least 30 teens nationwide needed medical attention after taking the challenge last year. Read more

Speak Your Mind

*