By Lowry Manders
What I know for sure…every mother leaves a legacy. Last night on the Colbert Report (a favorite show for me and Dustin), Stephen broke character to pay a loving tribute to his mother, Lorna Colbert, who died last week at age 92. She was the mother of 11 children, and left them quite a legacy of love…I wept to hear of his love for her, and felt so inspired to be a better mom. If someone like Lorna, who experienced so much loss and still raised 11 children can offer so much love as a mother, surely I can, too! Listening to the tribute will no doubt inspire your parenting, as well…make you pause and consider what it is your children will say about you when you have passed someday. Our kids might not grow up to have TV shows, but they will touch people’s lives. And when they do, our influence will be there, our legacies will live on. What will that legacy be?
Here are just some of the moving comments that Stephen shared about his own mother, comments maybe we should all try to live into..
- “If you like me, that’s because of my mom.”
- “She made a very loving home for us.”
- “Singing and dancing were encouraged, except at the dinner table.”
- “Hugs never needed a reason at her house.”
- “She was fun…”
- “She instilled in all of us a gratitude for every day we have together.”
- “Her favorite memory of prayer was a young mother tucking in her children.”
- “We were the light of her life and she let us know it till the end.”
schließe beide Äuglein zu.
Vater, laß die Augen dein
über meinem Bette sein.
I am tired, going to rest,
closing both my little eyes.
Father let your eyes
be above my bed.
May she rest in peace…and thanks be to God for her legacy of love. And thanks to Stephen, our friend, for having the strength to share this legacy with us.
Lowry Manders is a Dallas mom of 2 young children, a Kindermusik teacher, child development expert, creator and speaker for Parent with Purpose, seminars, and writer/ blogger on Mommy Manders.
If you enjoyed this post “Like” us on Facebook for updates on more posts like it.